Beet & Kale Salad With Farro & Lemon Dressing
I’m just going to pop in here to share with you all this lovely salad that we enjoyed for a quick and healthy dinner. Things are pretty busy around Tumbleweed Farm and we are loving the sunshine that we have been granted with these past few days.
All of our seedlings are happy and healthy in the greenhouse. The beginning of our 2014 season is is off to a great start. The next few months are going to be pretty daunting but I know we can handle anything the universe throws at us.
Thank god for healthy salads like this. A combination of kale, beets, farro, and a little organic feta cheese really hit the spot after a long day at Tumbleweed Farm. This salad is almost too simple to be a recipe but it is so stinking good that I feel the need to share it with you all. Springtime is almost here and recipes like this are always helpful for potlucks at friends houses.
I was really happy that we decided to cook farro instead of quinoa for a change. The slightly nutty flavor combined with the chewy texture added a great element to this salad.
If you are feeling slightly overtired and in need of an energy boost this is the salad for you! Grab a fork!
Roasted Beet and Kale Salad with Farro and Lemon Dressing
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 2-4
- 1 large bunch of kale or 2 small bunches, torn into bite size pieces (about 6 cups worth)
- 4 medium sized beets, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 cup organic feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon style mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Cook the farro according to package directions. This should take about 30 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, massage the dressing into the torn kale leaves. Set salad aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beets and cook until fork tender. About 10 minutes. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Once beets and farro have fully cooked add them to the kale. Toss in the red onion and feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.