We’re experiencing a true heatwave here at Tumbleweed Farm and our appetites haven’t been very big. It feels like Oregon is turning into California at a rapid rate and our farming conditions have gotten pretty extreme. We’re lucky that we still have unlimited irrigation use but the threat of our access to water is real and we’re crossing our fingers for some damn rain!
With that being said, these lentil lettuce wraps have been a highlight after some pretty hot days out in the fields. I was inspired to make these after one of our buddies brought some over for a potluck dinner that we hosted a few weeks back. For some reason, this simple dish stood out amongst all the other amazing food and I couldn’t wait to make my own version. This is the kind of meal that is great when you’re not in the mood to cook but you still want something nourishing to satisfy your hunger.
Hearty lentils, fresh herbs, spicy radishes and tender lettuce leaves make for a pretty tasty meal. If you’re hot, cranky and hungry this is just what the doctor ordered! Crack open an ice cold beer and whip up this simple dish. Cheers from Tumbleweed!
Lemony Lentil & Herb Lettuce Cups
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
- 1 cup beluga black lentils or french green lentils
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on tolerance)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup goats milk feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 3-5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Place the lentils and 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until cooked. About 25 minutes. Check lentils after 18 minutes and add water if necessary. Drain, rinse and set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Wash the lettuce and break apart the leaves. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, dill, parsley, mustard, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil. Add lentils, feta, scallions, onion and radishes. Taste test and season with additional salt and pepper if need be.
*Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary
*Taste test as you go
*Have fun in the kitchen