Parsnip Cupcakes With Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own.
One of the best treats in the spring is digging up some over-wintered parsnips. They’re sweeter than fall parsnips and have a little more character just because they’ve spent so much time in the ground. I’m a big fan of serving parsnips in savory dishes but we were craving cupcakes and it just so happened to by my sister-in-laws birthday so something sweet was in order. And hey, there doesn’t need to be a special occasion to enjoy these, celebrating the every day is what these little treats are all about!
Think of these cupcakes as a spin off of carrot cake. They’re spiced with a lovely blend of cardamom and cinnamon and topped with a delicious honey cream cheese frosting. They’re perfect served with a cup of coffee in the morning or with a glass of bubbly in the late afternoon. I hope you all enjoy these cupcakes as much as we do.
Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm
Parsnip Cupcakes with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup walnut oil (or another neutral tasting oil)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated parsnips (from about 1 large parsnip)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup honey
- dried edible flowers for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and parsnips. Slowly, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Prepare the frosting by beating the cream cheese together with a mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the honey and continue to beat until smooth and well incorporated. Taste test and adjust as needed.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting. Sprinkle with dried edible flowers if using.
Notes*baking times will very from kitchen to kitchen