Herb Roasted Chicken with Asparagus & Green Garlic
Before I get to this recipe I need to thank each and every one of you for your comments on my last post. First up, my father-in-law is recovering and feeling so much better! Thank you all for the well wishes and good vibes. It was a scary week which resulted in Taylor flying to the east coast to be with his family for a quick 48 hours. I know having Taylor at the hospital with his dad really helped with his speedy recovery. I also want to take this moment to say a HUGE thank you to Jeni, Billy, Colleen, Anna and my amazing dad for showing up at the farm ready to work after I sent a very panicked SOS text message. This time of the year it’s literally make or break on the farm and Taylor and I are beyond grateful to our amazing community (and my dad who drove 1.5 hours to be here) for helping us out in a time of need. Thank you Parkdale!!! And more important, thank you Massachusetts General Hospital for kicking ass and getting my father-in-law back to himself. It’s crazy how quickly life can change. Thank god for good friends (and strangers alike!) What a week!!!
Keeping in the spirit of my last post of “paying it forward” I want to say that I am beyond touched by all of the amazing comments. So many of you have wonderful ways of paying it forward and I love each and everyone of them. In fact, I loved them so much that last night before bed I re-read all 125 comments aloud to Taylor. Talk about happy dreams! Seriously, when I’m feeling bad about the world I will return to that post and read all of your comments. Not only do I want to pay it forward this month, but I want to keep it up forever. I’m feeling so good with my random acts of kindness that I want to keep the momentum going. I don’t know about you all but damn, it feels good to pay it forward!! Let’s keep it up together.
I’ll post the winner of the DUTD cookbook giveaway on May, 17th so stay tuned! In the meantime, I’ve got a killer spring time recipe for you all. This simple Herb Roasted Chicken with Asparagus and Green Garlic is a wonderful weeknight recipe that celebrates all the flavors of the season. This meal is easy to prepare and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Pair with a glass of your favorite white wine or light beer and you’re good to go.
Cheer from a very grateful Tumbleweed Farm!
Herb Roasted Chicken with Asparagus + Green Garlic
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + extra for drizzling veggies
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 4 green garlic stalks, white and light green parts only (can substitute with scallions if need be)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- drizzle of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 4ooF. Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, skin-side down, until brown and crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Drizzle the asparagus and green garlic with a touch of olive oil. Add the veggies to the skillet with the thyme and rosemary. Nuzzle the chicken (skin side up this time) around the veggies and roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and veggies with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will vary from kitchen to kitchen