Garlicky Leek & Artichoke Soup with Crunchy Roasted Lentils
The weather has quickly turned from sunny and warm to cold and rainy here at Tumbleweed Farm. Working out in the fields in crappy weather is less than ideal and we’ve been craving warm and comforting food once again.
This soup was a highlight after a long and wet afternoon in the fields. It’s creamy, rich and warms you from the inside out. The crunchy lentil topping is a lovely addition and should not be skipped! I’ve been roasting up big batches of cooked lentils to sprinkle on salads, hummus, avocado toast and now this soup. If you haven’t tried roasted lentils yet you’re in for a treat.
I was inspired to make this soup after seeing it posted on Vegetarian Times. We had a couple of jars of artichoke hearts waiting to be used and this seemed like the perfect dish. The original recipe calls for topping the soup with a dollop of fresh pesto-which I imagine would be lovely. However, we didn’t have any pesto prepared so the crunchy lentils and fresh micro greens did the trick. Other than the toppings I followed the original recipe to a T (which I rarely do). I’m glad I did because it was perfect as written.
If you’re an artichoke lover then I think you’ll adore this soup. It’s simple to prepare and tastes great with a simple arugula salad and a glass of your favorite wine. Grab a spoon!
Garlicky Leek & Artichoke Soup with Crunchy Lentils
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4-6Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-large leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 9 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water + more to thin if necessary
- 2 9oz jars water packed artichoke hearts, well rinsed and drained (2 cups) OR 1 10oz bag frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes (3/4 cup)
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- micro greens for topping
- 1 cup cooked green lentils
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the leeks are soft and translucent. Add broth, water, artichokes, potatoes and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, partially cover the pan and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While the soup simmers prepare the crunchy lentils. Preheat the oven to 400F. In a small bowl toss the lentils with the oil and spices. Place in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until lightly browned and crisp. About 20-23 minutes. Toss the lentils at least once or twice throughout cooking and keep a close eye on them for the final 5 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs, and strip remaining thyme leaves into the soup pot. With an immersion blender (or carefully in batches use a regular blender) puree the soup until smooth and creamy. If the soup is too thick add a little more water as needed. Stir in lemon juice and crushed red pepper flakes. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each bowl with crunchy lentils and micro greens.
Notes*This soup is adapted from Vegetarian Times *Store extra lentil croutons in a zip log bag *Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Have fun in the kitchen