Blood Orange Cashew Smoothie
I thought it would be fun to start posting more of our weekend smoothies. I post smoothies on instagram all of the time (along with other random eats and tons of photos of the farm so follow along!) but I don’t post nearly enough smoothies on the blog. Since Taylor and I usually do a big brunch on Saturdays (eggs, pancakes and sometime even a few spanish coffees thrown into the mix) we’re typically cravings something lighter by the time Sunday morning comes rolling around. Enter this smoothie. It’s a great combination of sweet, tart and creamy. If we could grow blood oranges on Tumbleweed I’d be one happy farmer. Unfortunately, that will never happen so I’ll settle for running to the grocery store to stock up on citrus during the winter months. This smoothie is a refreshing treat on a winter morning and I highly recommend whipping one up before blood orange season is over. Without further ado here is the recipe. Grab a straw and enjoy!
Blood Orange Cashew & Ginger Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 0 minutes Serves: 2
- 1 large blood orange, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 very ripe frozen banana
- 1/4 cup raw cashews OR sub 2 Tablespoons cashew butter (no need to soak the cashews unless you have a weak blender)
- 1/2 Tablespoon raw honey (more or less depending on sweet preference)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk (or milk/water of choice) start with 1/2 cup and add more liquid if necessary. This all depends on the juiciness of your blood orange
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and whirl away until smooth. Taste test and adjust flavors if need be.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Soaking cashews the evening before is optional, however, if you have a weak/mediocre blender I'd recommend soaking them the night before or using cashew butter instead.