Summer Squash Slaw with Toasted Almonds & Feta
I feel like August is typically the point in the farm season when our CSA members and farmers market customers begin to get a little tired of summer squash and zucchini. It really is the gift that keeps on giving all summer long and the truth is, we plant hundreds of summer squash and zucchini plants and it’s going to be a while before the plants die down and we can move on to winter squash.
In an effort to keep our customers happy and excited about this lovely vegetable I am constantly trying to come up with new and exciting recipes for people to try. This summer squash slaw is a new favorite and the bonus is that there is ZERO cooking required-aside from toasting the almonds!
I got the inspiration for this meal when I was cruising the pages of the latest Bon Appétit magazine. I switched things up a bit but I loved the idea of using summer squash as a slaw. Raw squash/zucchini is nice and crunchy and this side dish really is a simple and tasty treat. The toasted almonds, fresh mint and salty feta are a match made in heaven.
If your garden or farmers market stands are still overflowing with summer squash please give this recipe a whirl. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the amazing crunch and simple flavors. Grab a fork!
Summer Squash Slaw with Toasted Almonds and Feta
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Serves: 4
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. yellow summer squash, julienned (this can be done with a julienne peeler or mandoline. A sharp knife and a steady hand will work too!)
- 3 small scallions, minced-white and light green parts only
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, diced
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup organic feta cheese crumbles
- Fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- Toast almonds in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, tossing often until lightly browned and crisp. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss squash, scallions, mint, oregano, oil, and lemon juice. Season with crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add feta and toasted almonds and toss gently until well combined.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Taste test as you go.
how whimsical! 🙂
Love that you’ve made slaw out of the squash! The almonds, feta, lemon, and mint really are a match made in heaven.
The flavors really are the perfect match. If you get a chance whip this up!
Squash, almonds and feta is such a good combo! Just had it in a pasta dish the other night. I bet this is amazing with all that crunch! Keep the summer squash recipes coming 🙂
Girl, the squash recipes will continue to come for a while! I hope your hungry!
I never get sick of summer squash (zucchini down here) but it would be nice to have another way to prepare it .Also, who doesn’t love a good slaw! Love the addition of feta and toasted almonds – delicious! Thanks for the inspiration Andrea.
love the look of this salad! definitely perfect for summer, saving the recipe to recreate!
Let me know if/when you give this a whirl!
never thought to make slaw with squash. great idea and it looks delicious!
Summer squash is the perfect vegetable for a good crunchy slaw! Let me know if you give this a whirl!
I’ll take on some of that summer squash! Bring it on, sister! This slaw looks amazing, love!
Gorgeous! Summer freshness at its best and your photos are equally inspiring. Dynamic and full of life. So happy to discover your lovely site via Foodgawker.