Spiced Carrot & Date Loaf
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own.
If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast option that will satisfy your sweet tooth while still offering up some good nutrition than this loaf is for you! If you can get your hands on farm fresh carrots this time of the year definitely pick them up at your local farmers market. Carrots that have undergone a frost are sweeter than summer carrots and the flavor really comes out in this loaf of bread. This little treat is sweetened with honey and chopped dates, and the warming spices of cinnamon and nutmeg really tie the whole thing together. This is my favorite kind of winter breakfast when I take the time to enjoy it with a cup of coffee and serve it in a thick slice that I’ve toasted in the oven before slathering on an embarrassing amount of butter. But hey, if you just want to eat it straight up, that’s fine too! I hope you all love this seasonal loaf as much as we do. Happy baking everyone!
Spiced Carrot & Date Loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 55-60 minutes Serves: 1 loaf
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup walnut oil (or another neutral tasting oil)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated carrot
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- sprinkle of old fashioned oats (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or butter a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium to large bowl, beat eggs. Add the oil and then drizzle in the honey and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat well. Add carrots and chopped dates. Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with the walnuts and oats.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack. Once cooled, remove from loaf pan and enjoy!
Yum! Do you think I can use all purpose flour instead of whole wheat? Thanks!
I think that should be just fine!
Do you think I can use white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour?
could i use less honey – say 1/2 C instead and how would i have to balance liquid ingredients
That should be just fine without having to adjust anything else.
This was delightful! Thanks so much for sharing.
So happy to hear!!
This was a HUGE hit in my house including the 4.5-year-old and the 11 months old! I used all whole wheat pastry flour and left out the honey completely as it was more than sweet enough with just using soft dates. This makes it the first successful naturally-sweetened cake I have ever made! Now I am thinking about whether I can use a cup of dates in all my other cakes instead of honey!
Yay! So happy to hear!!!
This looks awesome! Can I sub plain yogurt or applesauce for the oil?