curried coconut and sweet potato soup
I apologize in advance but I am totally on a soup kick at the moment. I have a LOT of soup recipes coming your way in the next few weeks and I hope you don’t totally get sick of “sipping” your dinner!
The weather has turned grey and chilly here and the only thing that sounds good to me is soup. Especially soup that highlights our lovely sweet potatoes from the Farm.
We have a lot of sweet taters storing in our barn and I love sneaking out there to grab a few to toss into whatever I am making. This soup was the highlight of our night!
The combination of curry, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and peanut butter is a match made in heaven! Don’t let the peanut butter scare you. That is my secret weapon in this soup. Pour yourself a glass of red wine and grab your biggest soup spoon. This dinner is a keeper!
Curried Coconut and Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: 4
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (don't bother peeling them!)
- anywhere from 2 tsp to 2 TBS good quality curry powder (more or less depending on your spice tolerance) Start with less and add more as needed.
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 4-5 cups veggie stock
- 1 14 oz can full fat organic coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro
- a few handfuls of peanuts
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- In a large soup pot heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. Add garlic and chopped sweet potato. Cook for about 2 more minutes. Add spices and mix well.
- Add veggie stock and peanut butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- With an immersion blender or regular blender carefully puree the soup. Stir in the coconut milk salt and pepper. Taste test and add more curry powder if necessary. The longer the soup sits the more flavorful it gets!
- Serve with chopped cilantro, peanuts, and a squeeze of lime juice
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.