Simple Beet Soup
It’s that time of the year when we’re craving spring but the 2 feet of snow that’s still on the ground is proof that winter is sticking around for a bit longer. Luckily we’ve still got beets in storage from the fall and this simple soup was a crowd pleaser at the farm last weekend when we had our neighbors over for dinner. This recipe is really basic but the flavors are so lovely that it really doesn’t need anything else. Pair with some sourdough bread for dunking and a green salad and you’ve got yourself a wonderful meal. I hope you all enjoy this savory beet soup as much as we all did. Grab a spoon, pour a glass of wine and dig in!
Simple Beet Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 6
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 yellow or red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth + additional to thin if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium beets, peeled and halved
- 1 medium potato, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- full fat plain yogurt or sour cream for serving
- Heat the butter or oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through thyme sprigs). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until beets and potato are tender. Discard bay leaf and the thyme.
- Puree the soup in a high speed blender (you may have to do this in batches) until smooth and creamy. Return the soup to the pot, add the vinegar and stir in about 1/4 cup of yogurt or sour cream.
- Divide the soup between bowls and drizzle with addition yogurt or cream
NotesThis recipe is adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
haven’t made it yet, but looks and sounds divine! much less tedious than borscht
Wow, yum. Savory and beautiful!
Looks like an easy breezy recipe. Anxious to make it! Thank you!
When do you add the vinegar?
This looks good. Any suggestions as to what to use instead of potatoes to make the dish low carb? Thanks
P.S. I love your recipes.
I just made this soup a few nights ago. So simple and so delicious. I just wish I had found it when I had a larger crop of beets. I’m going to grab more at the farmer’s market just to make this again. Have you ever frozen this? . Thanks for a great recipe!