garlic avocado toast with heirloom tomato and basil
Something really amazing has happened….after 3 months of a dry spell we finally got some rain!
I cannot tell you how many hours a day we spend moving irrigation. It is a major pain and takes up WAY to much of our time. When we noticed the dark clouds moving in today we did a rain dance and harvested as quickly as possible.
And then we did what all farmers must do when it rains for the first time after a drought. Stand outside and get drenched. It was lovely.
We also took the opportunity to leave the farm early today. Our day is far from over, we still have a farmers market that we are attending later this evening. However, the rain was the perfect excuse to slow down and take a rare afternoon break together.
We celebrated the rainfall with this lovely lunch. The best part is that it requires no cooking and is so stinking easy to whip up. We have an abundance of heirloom tomatoes, garlic, and basil at the farm right now and these toasts were the perfect afternoon pick me up. Now, if only we could figure out how to grow avocados we’d be all set!
I hope you all get to take an extra long lunch today and enjoy these lovely toasts. Grab a fork and dig in!
Garlic Avocado Toast with Heirloom Tomato and Basil
Prep Time: 5 mins. Cook Time: 0 mins Serves: 2
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small bunch basil, thick stems removed thinly sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- a few slices of your favorite bread
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast bread in the oven or toaster.
- In a large bowl combine the avocado, garlic, salt and pepper. Mash until well combined yet still a little lumpy.
- Spread avocado mixture onto each slice of toast. Top with tomato, sliced basil, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.