Roasted Broccoli & Kohlrabi Salad
One of my favorite vegetables to grow here at Tumbleweed Farm is kohlrabi. I wasn’t very familiar with this crazy looking vegetable before we got into farming but now that we grow thousands of them it has quickly become one of my favorite farm treats. For more kohlrabi recipes try my kohlrabi & cabbage slaw OR miso glazed turnips & kohlrabi quinoa salad OR kohlrabi chips with hippie ranch dip. Have fun with this delicious vegetable!
If you aren’t very familiar with kohlrabi it has a mild broccoli stem flavor with the consistency of a firm apple. I love eating kohlrabi raw-just sliced into thin rounds with a little sea salt and pepper. However, it naturally pairs well with broccoli and I love eating these vegetables together.
If you are in need of a tasty fall salad this is going to be your go-to for a while. The ginger-cashew sauce is so stinking good I almost ate the whole batch with a spoon. I hope you all enjoy this simple side dish as much as we do. Grab a fork!
Roasted Broccoli + Kohlrabi Salad with Cashew-Ginger Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 pound of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1-2 medium-sized kohlrabi, tough stems removed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro or parsley for serving
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (no need to soak)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on spice preference)
- 2-4 Tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the veggies with the sesame oil and place on a prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender and browned on all sides. About 20 minutes. Toss veggies halfway through cooking.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all the ingredients (expect the water) into a high speed blender. Whirl away until smooth. Add water as needed to reach a desired consistency. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve salad with toasted cashews, cilantro and dressing to taste.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as needed. *Cooking times will vary depending on your oven and the size of your veggies.