Roasted Tomato & Basil Crostini + Roasted Eggplant & Mint Crostini
One of the best perks about selling vegetables at the farmers market is getting to trade with other vendors for local food like fresh bread and organic cheese. It’s an awesome deal! Taylor and I have made a weekly tradition of whipping up some variation of these crostini with our goodies from the market. Earlier in the season we were making these with peas, radishes and mint-which were awesome! However, these two new versions have quickly become a household favorite. Besides, our cherry tomatoes and eggplant are still producing like crazy in the fields and they make the perfect topper on these crostini.
This is a lovely weeknight meal that requires minimal effort and is packed with farm fresh flavors. When paired with a simple salad and a glass of your favorite house wine you have a lovely and delicious evening ahead of you.
If you are avoiding dairy feel free to sub with my cashew cheese. It’s really delicious and Taylor is still convinced it’s goat cheese. Go figure! However, if you can find local and sustainable cheese I would highly recommend it here. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy!
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes & Basil Crostini + Roasted Eggplant & Mint Crostini with Goat Cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided) + 1 Tablespoon for the bread
- 1 rustic style baguette of bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 6 ounces organic goat cheese
- 1/4 cup mint, minced
- 1/4 cup basil, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss cherry tomatoes with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and place on a prepared baking sheet. Toss eggplant with remaining oil and place on another prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the veggies with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the tomatoes blister and the eggplant has browned and soften. About 18-20 minutes. Toss veggies halfway through cooking.
- Once veggies are done roasting drizzle remaining olive oil over bread slices and place bread on the upper rack of the oven and lightly toast.
- Remove bread from the oven and spread with goat cheese. Divide the cherry tomatoes over half the bread slices and the eggplant over the other half. Place back in the oven for about 3-5 minutes or until cheese begins to soften and slightly melt.
- Sprinkle the cherry tomato toast with basil and the eggplant toast with mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a drizzle more of olive oil. Enjoy.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.
Fresh produce, bread, and cheese with a side of wine? Does life get any better? I think not.
These look fabulous! I would devour them in a heartbeat. .
These look so delicious. I love the idea of having them as a main meal with salad and a glass of wine. Perfection!
Oh, these little bites look perfect! Beautiful, Andrea!