Roasted Beet Salad With Avocado-Parsley Sauce
This lovely salad was our savior after a long and rainy day at Tumbleweed Farm.
I was knee deep in mud and couldn’t feel my fingers or toes when this lovely recipe came to me.
Some of the best food on this blog has been the result of really tough days out in the field. It helps to find something positive to focus on when the day doesn’t seem to have an end in sight. This salad is a perfect example of that. I am so happy with this dish that I cannot wait to make it again. The roasted beets paired so nicely with the avocado-parsley sauce. The addition of farro takes this meal over the top. After just one bite the cold and wet day at the farm was a distant memory.
Taylor and I enjoyed this with a glass of delicious red wine. As it turns out, it wasn’t such a bad day after all. Good food, plenty of wine and lovely company are the best medicine. Enjoy!
Roasted Beet & Farro Salad with Avocado-Parsley Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35-45 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 3 medium-sized beets, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups parsly, chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 2 Tablespoons high heat oil (I used grapeseed oil)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 medium-sized ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the beets with the grapeseed oil. Sprinkle with fine sea salt and place on a prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven until beets are fork tender. About 25-30 minutes. Toss beets halfway through cooking time.
- Rinse farro. Place 1 cup farro with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until farro is tender. About 25 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts by placing in a skillet over medium heat. Shake the pan often so the nuts toast evenly. 2-3 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce by combining all of the ingredients together and processing until smooth. This works best with an immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. If sauce is too thick add a little more water or oil.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked farro, roasted beets, and chopped parsley. Drizzle with dressing and toss until evenly coated. Top each plate with toasted pine nuts and enjoy.
Notes*I cook with a taste and feel method. Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. Always taste test as you go.