Lemon Asparagus Soup
My mom made this soup for me last week and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. This is one of those simple recipes that sounds to basic to be over the top good but you have to trust me on this one. I would not change a damn thing! Honestly, I thought about tweaking this recipe a bit to make it my own but thankfully I held back. This soup is absolutely perfect as written. Fresh asparagus, tangy lemon, a bit of butter, and a healthy sprinkling of parmesan cheese makes this soup one of those “must have” recipes to keep in your back pocket for the remainder of the spring. It’s budget friendly and perfect for a crowd (just double the recipe). This is spoon worthy delicious and just so happens to be my favorite recipe of the season thus far. Thanks mom for sharing this kick ass meal with me! Between the delicious food, great company, and tasty wine (we enjoyed our soup with a glass of Analemma Wines chardonnay) it was the perfect evening. If you live in the area I would highly recommend picking up the ingredients for this soup at the farmers market this coming weekend (at the Full Sail Brewing Parking Lot) and while your at it, head over to Analemma Winery for your wine to pair with this meal. And hey, if you don’t live in the area, I bet you can score these same ingredients at your own local market and find some tasty wine or beer from your neighbors. Grab a spoon, pour a glass and enjoy!
Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm!
Lemon Asparagus Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4Lemon Asparagus Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 2 bunches of asparagus (about 2 1/4 pounds) trimmed
- 2 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from about 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- minced parsley for serving
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- While the onion and garlic cook, roughly chop your asparagus into 1/2 inch chunks--discarding the tough woody ends (leave them for making homemade stock)
- Add the chopped asparagus to the pot along with the veggie broth, 1 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the veggies are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup in a high speed blender until completely smooth (You can also use an immersion blender for this but the soup wont be as smooth and creamy). Return the soup the to pot and keep on low heat. Stir in the lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Serve with crusty bread, a glass of your favorite wine and good company.
Notes*This recipe is adapted from my mom who adapted it from the food blog "One Upon A Chef" *Taste test as you go *Adjust ingredients as necessary