Heirloom Tomato & Herb Salad
We’re still swimming in a sea of tomatoes here at Tumbleweed Farm and this simple late summer salad is absolutely perfect. Fresh herbs, juicy tomatoes, a tangy dressing, fried chickpeas and capers, plus a sprinkling of feta cheese make this salad so damn good that it’s reason enough to crack open a bottle of champagne and toast to the flavors of the season!
I hope you ell enjoy this tasty side dish as much as we do. Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm!
Heirloom Tomato & Herb Salad With Fried Chickpeas & Capers
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4Fried Chickpeas & Capers
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or another high heat oil) divided
- 3 tablespoons brine packed capers, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (if from the can drained and patted dry)
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced dill + additional sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons minced basil, + full leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley + additional sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- crumbled feta cheese for serving (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the grapeseed oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown and burst open, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Carefully add the additional oil to the pan along with the chickpeas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas begin to brown and crisp up. About 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle the chickpeas with a pinch of smoked paprika and sea salt.
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, dill, basil, and parsley. Drizzle in the olive oil and continue to whisk together until smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on a large platter. Drizzle with the dressing and top with the fried capers, chickpeas and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary