Hazelnut Crusted Chicken Fingers with Greek Yogurt Ranch (Toddler Approved!)
I’m feeling really inspired to share more toddler friendly recipes on the blog as I’m working on a toddler recipe book at the moment. And by “toddler friendly” I really mean family friendly. We feed our daughter the same food we’re eating but sometimes we need to get a little creative with presentation. For example, she’s been eating the same meals we have since she started solids but sometimes we have to “deconstruct” her plate so that the food is segmented instead of served all together. Take chili for example- I’ll segment out the beans, ground beef, shredded cheese, sliced avocado and a dollop of yogurt on Pepper’s plate while Taylor and I enjoy ours in our usual bowls. Sometimes it’s all about being able to identify each individual ingredient for her to really engage in her meal and try a bite of everything. These chicken fingers are an easy win because well, they’re an individual ingredient and when served alongside crispy potatoes and steamed peas with a side of dipping sauces she’s totally game!!
I absolutely love the recipe for these chicken fingers. We picked up some local chicken breast from a neighbors farm and coated them in some Oregon grown ground hazelnut flour (you can use almond flour if that’s all you’ve got) and shredded coconut. The mixture is lightly spiced with paprika, onion and garlic powder and is a total crowd pleaser. Honestly, this is a family favorite meal at the moment. I love how much protein we can pack into this meal between the chicken and the greek yogurt ranch dipping sauce. We also served a side of my favorite date-sweetened ketchup (you can grab that recipe here)
Meals like this make it so fun to feed my family. This comes together quickly and has become a weekly staple over the past month. I hope you and your family love this nourishing meal as much as we do! We served ours alongside some pan fried crispy potatoes and steamed green peas for good measure.
Cheers to feeding all the little people and big people in your life!
Hazelnut Crusted Coconut Chicken Fingers with Greek Yogurt Ranch
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4Chicken
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour (or almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 pound organic, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons water to thin (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack and use a towel to grease the wire rack with butter or oil. (The wire rack makes the chicken extra crispy!) If you don't have a wire rack you can lightly grease the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl add the hazelnut flour, coconut, spices and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl add the whisked egg.
- Dip each slice of chicken into the egg and then dredge both sides into the hazelnut mixture. Place the chicken on the wire rack baking sheet. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through cooking. (Internal temperature should be 165F which should take no more than 20 minutes, but if your chicken is thicker it may be 1-2 minutes longer)
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the chicken cooks prepare the ranch. Combine all the ingredients (except the water) and mix well. If the mixture is too thick for you liking you may add 1-2 Tablespoons of water to thin as needed. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
Notes*Store extra ranch dressing in the fridge for up to 5 days. Almond flour can be substituted for hazelnut flour