beet pesto pizza with goat cheese and basil
If you are all experiencing a heat wave like we are, give your local farmers a break if they seem a little bit cranky. I for one, am not a happy camper. Farming in a heat wave sucks.
The good news is that I cooked up the perfect remedy for extreme heat and crankiness. Beets to the rescue!
We planted extra beets this year because of my absolute obsession with them. We bring plenty to market with us, but I always want to make sure there is an unlimited supply for me as well (I’m selfish that way!)
This beet pesto pizza with goat cheese and basil is pretty darn delicious. I made a different version of beet pesto last year. I switched things up a bit this time and the result was just as delicious as my old recipe. We ate this pizza under a huge tree for some shade and a cool breeze. It was the perfect way to end a particularly hot day. Enjoy.
Beet Pesto Pizza with Goat Cheese and Basil
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: 2-4
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1/4-1/2 cup good quality goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil, finely chopped
- olive oil for drizzling
- 3 large purple beets, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place beets in a large pot of boiling water. Cook until beets are fork tender (about 10 minutes) Strain beets and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Combine all ingredients for the pesto in a food processor. Process until smooth. Taste test and set aside.
- Roll out your pizza dough. Spread a thin layer of beet pesto over the dough. Add crumbled goat cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes of until dough lightly browned and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle chopped basil on top. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.