chickpea and avocado collard green tacos with tahini sauce
Tumbleweed Farm has been experiencing a frost every night for the past two weeks. We were almost an hour late to our last CSA drop off because we were harvesting all of our veggies first thing in the morning and everything was still covered in ice. I spent a lot of time in the car blasting heat on my hands and feet which is why we were so late! We have learned the hard way that we need to pick our greens the day before our drop off this time of year. Nobody likes a cranky farmer who can’t feel her hands or feet dropping of their produce. Lesson learned!
Despite the cold weather, the sun has been shining and our collard greens, kale, carrots, parsnips and brussels sprouts are sweeter than ever. Nothing like the first frost to bring out the sweetness in some of my favorite crops!
I’m not exactly sure why, but collard greens have been a tough seller for us at the markets this season. I think they traditionally get a bad reputation for being extremely bitter, but this time of year there is no denying how delicious and sweet they really are!
Usually my favorite way to prepare collard greens is to sauté them in a little olive oil with plenty of garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. They taste really good prepared this way with a side of mashed parsnips. I will have plenty of recipes for collards and parsnips coming your way soon. Until then, this is my newest obsession.
When I told Taylor I was going to prepare a “taco” meal using raw collard greens as the shell he looked at me like I had gone totally crazy.
“I’ll try it, but don’t get mad at me if I run to the brew pub for lunch afterwards.” I gotta give the guy credit for always trying my newest creations.
The verdict? Taylor went back for thirds and did not need to go to the brew pub for anything (except a beer later that evening!) We have made this same meal three times now.
If you are a fan of falafel I think you will enjoy all of the flavor combinations going on here. This meal is so stinking delicious you wont even believe it’s healthy! Besides, it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. Who can beat that? Trust me, if Taylor went back for thirds you will LOVE this! Dig in!
Chickpea and Avocado Collard Green Tacos with Tahini Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 0 mins Serves: 2-4
- 6 collard greens, tough stems trimmed
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/3 cup parsley, tough stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup raw tahini
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (only use 1 for a mild flavor)
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS minced Parsly
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3-6 TBS water (add more if sauce is too thick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sriracha sauce for drizzling
- Comine all ingredients for the tahini sauce together in a blender or with an immersion blender. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients (except the collard greens) into a bowl and lightly mash/combine until everything is well incorporated.
- Scoop a healthy portion of the mixture into each collard wrap. Drizzle with the tahini sauce and a little sriracha sauce if you desire. Enjoy!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.