Curry Roasted Carrot Pancakes (Two ingredients)
Hello all of you mamas and papas out there with a new eater (or two) in the house! I created these curried roasted carrot pancakes with you all in mind. They’re only two(ish) ingredients. If you don’t count the curry powder and butter you only need carrots and eggs. Easy, peasy! And if you don’t already own an immersion blender, I highly recommend getting one to help make mealtime easier when you’re preparing food for you babes. They are such a small investment for all that they accomplish and they don’t take up any room in your kitchen. I swear, if there is only one thing to purchase when you have a baby on the way it’s an immersion blender. Whatever you’re making the family for dinner set a portion aside for the babe, blend it, and add an egg or two and make a pancake out of it. Seriously, that’s it! I’ve made pancakes out of the most random things. Leftover meatballs and tomato sauce, split pea soup, roasted broccoli, and salmon. They taste great and are a wonderful way to pack a lot of nutrition into an easy to chew and swallow pancake.
Anyhow, back to this recipe. These are a lovely way to introduce some spice into your little ones diet along with carrots which are roasted to bring out their natural sweetness to help balance out a little of the heat. We have been making these a lot lately because the carrots at the farm are cranking and Pepper is too young to eat raw carrots so this is a great way to introduce this nutritious root veggie into her diet. And please don’t be scared of the curry powder. These are not overly spiced and the carrots themselves end up becoming really sweet once roasted. I’ve been giving Pepper spicy food since the beginning and she doesn’t bat an eye, but if your little one isn’t a fan of spice just dial back the curry. And of course, just like all these recipes, have fun with the spices. These would be equally as good with cinnamon and nutmeg for a sweet warming treat in the morning. I eat these right along with Pepper and love them.
I hope you and your little ones love these as much as we do.
Happy baby food making everyone!
Curry Carrot Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Serves: 12 pancakes
- 1 medium bundle of carrots --washed, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch pieces (about 8 carrots)
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with the melted butter. Toss with the curry, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Remove from the heat.
- With an immersion blender or food processor puree the carrots. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed (I usually add a touch more curry here)
- Measure out 1 cup of carrot puree and add that to a bowl. Whisk together the eggs and add it to the pureed carrots.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add some butter to the pan and once melted spoon about 2 tablespoons worth of batter into the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with yogurt and chives.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.