Curried Kohlarbi Fries
Our CSA members are receiving a lot of kohlrabi these days and these curried kohlrabi fries are a great recipe to turn to for your holiday weekend entertaining. Simple, delicious and perfectly spiced. I tossed the raw kohlrabi in a chickpea flour and curry batter because I love the nutty flavor of the chickpea flour when paired with something spicy. Taylor loved these so much that as I photographed this recipe he ran out to the field to grab more kohlrabi so we could make TWO more batches. Yep–we ate a total of 3 batches of these fries in one sitting (that’s kind of overkill!). I’ll admit that I was really pleased with how these turned out. The spicy fries are dipped into a cilantro-lime yogurt sauce which balances the heat. These fries would be a great side dish for burgers, sandwiches or if you’re like us–just as is.
We hope you like these fries as much as we do. Cheers to the farm fresh bounty!
Curried Kohlrabi Fries
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4 cup full fat plain yogurt
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds kohlrabi, peeled
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chickpea flour (can sub with all purpose flour if need be)
- 1 teaspoon good quality curry powered
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- 4 Tablespoons peanut oil
- Minced cilantro for serving
- Flakey sea salt for serving
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce. Taste test and adjust flavors as necessary. Set aside.
- Slice the peeled kohlrabi into 1/2 inch thick rounds Slice each round into thin strips (about 1/2 inch thick).
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, curry powder, red pepper flakes and salt. Add the kohlrabi and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the kohlrabi in a single layer (you may have to work in batches). Cook on one side until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until all sides are a dark-golden brown. The whole process of frying should only take about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with minced cilantro, flakey sea salt and the yogurt dipping sauce.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will vary from kitchen to kitchen