Chicken And Miso Glazed Veggies
This was a clean out the fridge meal. There wasn’t much thought that went into the preparation of this dish except that Taylor wanted roasted chicken with whatever I was tossing together. This ended up tasting so fantastic that I knew I wanted to share it here. At any given moment we have a jar of miso, frozen ginger (I always freeze my ginger root so it lasts longer!) chicken, and plenty of root veggies that we store in the barn. Having staples on hand at all times makes “throw together” meals really easy and not stressful. I love the unami flavor that the miso adds to the dish and the sweetness from the carrots, beets and parsnips pair really well with the juicy chicken thighs.
I hope you all enjoy this simple yet hearty meal as much as Taylor and I did. Make sure to get your hands on some good quality chicken thighs for optimal flavor and peace of mind. Pair this dish with a glass of red wine and an intense game of Dominos and you’ve got yourself an awesome date night in. Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm.
Chicken and Miso Glazed Veggies
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45-55 minutes Serves: 4
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 Tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons white or yellow miso paste
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound parsnips, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 pound beets, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2 thick wedges
- 8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- Cilantro for serving
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. In a large bowl pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Drizzle in 1 Tablespoon of the oil and generously season the chicken with salt, pepper and the 2 teaspoons of cumin. Set aside.
- Whisk together the 2 Tablespoons of the oil, miso, vinegar, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and ginger until smooth. This works great with an immersion blender.
- In a large bowl add the chopped veggies and drizzle in the miso sauce. Toss well to coat. Transfer all the root veggies, onion and garlic cloves to a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until softened and brown, about 45 minutes. Toss the veggies halfway through cooking.
- Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of the oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Once hot add as many pieces of the chicken that will fit, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Repeat with all the chicken. Remove from the skillet and place skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet and place the chicken thighs in the lower third of the oven and cook until tender and not longer pink. About 12-15 minutes.
- Divide roasted veggies between plates, squeeze garlic cloves from their skins, and serve with roasted chicken and plenty of minced cilantro. Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chicken and enjoy.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurement and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will vary depending on specific oven and ingredients