Cherry Tomato Confit
This tomato confit is what summer is all about. If I was more on top of it I would have been making this luxurious condiment all summer long. Not only is it simple to prepare but the slow and low roasting temperature in the oven brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes and garlic. You’ll find yourself smearing this on toast, pizza, grilled meat, or stirred into pasta. And don’t get me started on how flavorful the infused oil is after roasting. You’ll be tasting it by the spoonful! This recipe is a great way to use up the abundance of the tomato harvest and is a crowd pleasure to boot. I’m not sure why I haven’t thought to prepare my tomatoes like this until now but better late than never! I hope you all enjoy this simple recipe as much as we do. If you plan on making a lot and want to store them for the winter, divide the mixture between small mason jars and chill them completely for 24 hour in the fridge before freezing. Let them thaw in the fridge before using.
Cheers to the summer harvest!
Cherry Tomato Confit
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 2.5-3 hours Serves: 4 cups
- 2 pints cheery tomatoes (any variety will work but a mix of Sun Golds and Round Reds is great here)
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 225F.
- Place the tomatoes in a single layer in a baking dish and drizzle them with the oil. Add thyme, garlic and salt. Bake until the tomatoes are swollen and the skins are wrinkled. About 2.5-3 hours. When the tomatoes have cooled completely store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, completely covered with the reserved cooking oil to prevent air from reaching them.
Notes*This recipe is lightly adapted from the cookbook Gjelina *Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *You can freeze the tomato confit in mason jars by diving the mixture into individual jars, placing in the fridge for 24 hour to cool before placing in the freezer. .