Cedar Plank Steelhead with Chimichurri & Buttered Radishes
With barbecue season upon us this recipe is a surefire way to get your family on board with a healthy and delicious spring recipe. I love the taste of meat and veggies that have been cooked on cedar planks. The planks work really well on an outdoor bbq, but don’t let that stop you if you don’t have access to a grill. You can achieve tasty results by placing the cedar plank on a baking sheet and then proceeding with your recipe. You’ll still be able to get a lot of that smoky flavor and tenderness that you get from a grill. I paired the steelhead with some freshly picked radishes that we cooked up in a skillet with plenty of butter and salt. They are addictive when prepared this way! I made a simple chimichurri sauce to go with the meal and added a handful of the radish greens for some added oomph. However, if your radish greens are looking less than stellar you can just use all parsley in the chimichurri.
This meal was prepared for my friends at Amity Vineyards. Their spring wine club members are receiving the spring shipment of wine and this is a wonderful pairing with their Estate Pinot Noir. If you are not familiar with Amity Vineyards I hope you look them up. They are a wonderful company and their wine is absolutely delicious. They ship around the country as well! I hope you all enjoy this fresh and delicious meal as much as we did. If you can’t get steel head feel free to swap with salmon or cod.
Happy spring cooking everyone!
Cedar Plank Steel Head with Buttered Radishes and Chimichurri
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4Chimichurri
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped radish greens
- fat pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + additional to thin if needed
- 1 bunch of radishes, quartered (save greens for adding to chimichurri or another use)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fat pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 (2 pound) steelhead fillet (with skin) 1 ½ inch thick
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Soak the cedar grilling plank in water for 2 hours before grilling.
- Prepare the chimichurri by combining all the ingredients (except the oil) in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running slowly pour in the oil. Blend until well incorporated. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Prepare the radishes by heating the butter a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the radishes and cook, turning often, until deep golden brown and crisp tender. About 8-10 minutes.
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Drizzle the steelhead with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the steelhead on the cedar plank (skin side down) and grill, covered with the lid, until steelhead is just cooked through and the edges are browned, about 13-15 minutes. Serve the steelhead drizzled with the chimichurri and buttered radishes.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.