Mexican Hot Chocolate with Coconut Whipped Cream
This drink is a game changer. I’ve whipped it up 5 days in a row and finally grabbed my camera to capture this life changing hot chocolate. It’s extremely rich but that hasn’t stopped my body from craving it every day this week. In all honesty, I’m currently curled on the couch writing this post while I sip on one. This may turn into a problem!
I was inspired by the awesome blog Minimalist Baker to make coconut whipped cream which was a great addition to these drinks. I changed the recipe a bit to use what we had on hand and it came out great. I’ve loved adding coconut whip to my morning cup of coffee and even dunking sliced apples into it. So good!
What makes this drink extra special is that it is naturally sweetened with dates and gets an extra creamy texture from a little almond butter. You can adjust the spices to your liking and if the kick from cayenne isn’t your thing you can absolutely leave it out. The cinnamon and nutmeg should do the trick just fine. Bonus, these drinks are a cinch to whip up! Heat everything on the stove then transfer to your high speed blender and whirl away until smooth and frothy.
We’ve enjoyed our mexican hot chocolates for breakfast, mid afternoon pick me ups, and even as dessert. Yesterday, we sipped on them mid- afternoon with a few chocolate-tahini oat bites (recipe coming to the blog later this week!) and we were in complete chocolate bliss.
I made these drinks with my father-in-law in mind since he loves chile infused dark chocolate as much as I do. John Bemis, these drinks have your name written all over them!
If the winter weather is getting you down I’d suggest snuggling up on the couch with a good book and a large mug of this rich and creamy mexican hot chocolate. Cheers!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Serves: 2For the Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups almond milk (homemade preferred but store bought is fine)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted (more or less depending on your sweet preference)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon almond butter
- 3 Tablespoons raw cacao powder (more or less depending on how rich you want this)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or an even tinier pinch)
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 (14 oz) can of coconut cream OR 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 2 teaspoons real maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients for the hot chocolate on the stove over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and pour contents into a high speed blender. Whirl away until smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings as need be. Serve with coconut whipped cream and enjoy!
- 10 minutes before making your coconut whipped cream place the bowl your going to use into the freezer along with your electric beaters or immersion blender (I don't own electric beaters and my immersion blender worked perfectly!)
- Pour the chilled coconut cream into a bowl (if there is any liquid in the can save that for another use) and add the maple syrup and vanilla. Beat until creamy and smooth. About 1 minute. Taste test and adjust as needed.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as need be. *The coconut whipped cream is adapted from the blog Minimalist Baker. *If you can't find coconut cream and are using a can of coconut milk shake the can a little to make sure it isn't too watery. If so choose a can that seems to have more cream and less liquid. *Store coconut whipped cream covered in the fridge for up to two weeks.
OMG ! Divine ………….. 19
Ooops…… 19 was “bot” exercise. how did that get there ???
but will give this recipe 5 stars 🙂
Oh this looks super decadent and super perfect for a weekend session on the couch with a big thick book for company. I know what my plans for Sunday afternoon are now! I love the hint of spice too – the best way to enjoy chocolate!
This looks glorious! and I love your whisk!
Oh this hot chocolate looks and sounds amazing!!