Brown Butter Hazelnut Granola With Cornmeal & Honey
It’s starting to feel like fall and that means cozy breakfasts with a hint of warming spices and a big ol’ mug of hot coffee before tending to chores around the farm and starting the long list of things to check off. This is a tasty breakfast that is perfect for this transition season. With hits of nutty brown butter, sweet honey, hearty hazelnuts and cornmeal for added crunch this is my kind of granola. It’s also got a secret ingredient which is a well whisked egg white which helps keep this granola chunky. I’ve started adding an egg white to all my granola recipes recently and it makes all the difference in the texture. Gotta love big clusters of crunchy granola! This is a wonderful granola to make on the weekends and enjoy all week long with a bowl of your favorite milk or yogurt. Of course it’s great by the handful too or sprinkled on top of ice cream. The choices are endless! Grab a spoon and dig in!
Brown Butter Hazelnut Granola
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 5 cups
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg white (well beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 275F
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until it starts to bubble and foam a bit. Continue to stir until the butter turns golden and browns a bit, about 5-8 minutes (keep a close eye on the butter as you don't want it to burn). Transfer the butter to a very large bowl and drizzle in the honey. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is evenly coated in the butter/honey mixture.
- Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown, tossing occasionally, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the granola cool to room temperature before breaking into clusters.
NotesStore granola in an airtight glass jar for 2 weeks