Beet & Yogurt Dressing
I don’t know how I’ve managed to get this far in my farming and cooking career without ever making a beet vinaigrette! Honestly, this is a game changer recipe and I’m so excited to share it with you today. Besides, the beets are cranking at the farm and it’s time to get a little more creative with them. And really, that’s the key when it comes to eating most in-season, locally sourced whole foods. Beets are a vegetable that we grow most of the year and they make appearances often in our CSA customers weekly boxes. I love eating beets in all forms- freshly grated into a salad, roasted, steamed, boiled and puréed. They’re so beautiful and can easily brighten up any salad or main dish with vibrant color. And this dressing is no exception.
Get ready to serve the most beautiful and delicious salad or grain bowl when you drizzle it with this bright pink dressing! The flavors are really balanced with a lovely tang from the yogurt, sweetness from a drizzle of honey, and a wonderful earthiness from the beets. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
The idea for blending up beets into a dressing came from Amy Chaplin’s new cookbook Whole Food Cooking Every Day. She has so many vegetable dressings to jazz up any meal. Everything from a zucchini dressing, to a carrot dressing, and even artichoke dressing. The sky is the limit now that we know veggies can be blended up into a beautiful and flavorful sauce.
Beet & Yogurt Dressing
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 1 cup
- 1 cup chopped beets (from about 2 medium-small beets) *See Note
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons water to thin as or more as needed
- Place your beets in a saucepan with enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Put the beets, garlic, scallions, yogurt, vinegar, honey, oil and salt into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as necessary. If the dressing is too thick add 2 tablespoons of water. Blend again. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Place in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week. The dressing will thicken as it chills. You can add a touch more water to thin as needed before each use.
Notes*I like to cook more beets than the recipe calls for and keep them in the fridge all week long. That way it's easy to whip up another batch of dressing mid week without needing to cook the beets again.