Banana Honey & Nut Muffins
I wasn’t sure if I was going to be posting any recipes during this uncertain time. The state of the world is scary and heartbreaking and I haven’t been feeling very inspired to cook (plus we just had a baby less than two weeks ago so there’s that too!) However, I haven’t been able to ignore all the amazing love we’ve been getting on instagram from folks all over the world cooking out of my cookbook or this blog. As it turns out, the kitchen is a wonderful and safe place to escape to during uncertain times. This recipe was a “clean out the pantry” kind of recipe which utilized old bags of almond flour, coconut flour and over ripe bananas. If you don’t have the nut flours on hand try making my banana honey bread recipe with regular flour instead! This is a great recipe to whip up for your family to have on hand during this “shelter in place” time. But it’s also a great recipe to whip up for your next door neighbors just to let them know you’re thinking of them during this time. Just drop off on the doorstep and stay at least 6ft away! Also, I encourage everyone to try and stay away from the grocery store if you can. Instead of running out to grab ingredients for this recipe see what you’ve got on hand and see if you can alter it with what you’ve got. Or look into a grocery service to drop off the ingredients to your doorstep. If we can all limit our time spent out in public the quicker this virus can hopefully be contained.
I hope wherever this post finds you that you and your family are safe, healthy and can find a little peace and comfort in your kitchen. Grab your wooden spoon and enjoy!
Banana Honey & Nut Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (approximately 3 medium-sized bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey (heated slightly until pour-able)
- 3 large eggs, light beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- sprinkle of flax seeds and hemp seeds for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter or oil and set it aside.
- Place almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Give it a good stir. Set aside.
- Place the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, honey, eggs, and milk in a bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined. It's okay if there are small chunks of mashed banana pieces swimming in the mix.
- Add in the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and make sure that they are evenly distributed within the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins (they will be pretty full) and sprinkle with the seeds (if using) bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and serve while warm with a little pad of butter!
Notes*Cooking times will very from kitchen to kitchen