parsnip and kale quinoa bowls
I don’t know about you all but I am a parsnip LOVER. I feel like a kid in a candy store every time we go digging for this treasure. The sun even came out for us and we shed some layers for the first time in ages.
The sunny and warm weather was a complete contrast from digging for parsnips last year.
My farm friend Ellen and I dug for hours in the freezing cold. Our whole bodies where numb from the chilly weather, however, we needed to get these puppies dug up for the farm stand. I remember we complained a lot that afternoon because we couldn’t feel our hands or feet, however, it was totally worth it. I believe I went home and made parsnip fries to make up for the chilly and miserable day. Don’t worry, I’ll share my recipe for those tasty fries with you all soon.
These parsnip and kale quinoa bowls will have to tide you over. If you have’t had the pleasure of eating roasted parsnips then you must run to your local farmers market or grocery store and pick some up. I love pairing my parsnips with a light maple dressing. The flavor combination is a match made in heaven.
If it’s the slightest bit chilly where you are I recommend pouring a glass of wine to warm yourself up with, cranking your oven to high, and getting to work preparing this lovely meal.
Parsnip and Kale Quinoa Bowls
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 25 mins. Serves: 2-4
- 2-4 medium sized parsnips, cut into 1/4 inch pieces,
- 1 bunch of curly kale (or any type of kale/green) tough stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Oil of choice for cooking (I used grapeseed oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1 TBS low sodium tamari
- 2 TBS rice wine vinegar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare dressing by combining all the ingredients and processing until smooth with an immersion blender or regular blender
- Toss the parsnips with about 1 TBS of oil. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until fork tender and lightly browned (about 12-15 minutes) Toss halfway through cooking time.
- Bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover until water has absorbed and quinoa is easily fluffed with a fork. (about 12 minutes)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the walnuts and toast for about 2 minutes stirring often. Remove walnuts and add a little oil to the pan and return to medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes stirring often. Add the kale and continue to cook until kale is bright green and tender (about 3-5 minutes)
- Combine the quinoa with the kale and onion mixture. Add the cooked parsnips. Slowly drizzle with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with toasted walnuts and cranberries.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.