kale beet and blue cheese pizza
I’m giddy with pride. Folks, we have some celebrating to do. Raise your glasses and take a bite out of this lovely pizza. As it turns out, there really is a god and she has granted me my first harvest of beets from Tumbleweed Farm!
If you have been reading this blog for sometime now then you already know how much I adore beets. They are natures candy and just so happen to be my favorite vegetable of all time.
For the most part this farm season, Taylor has left me and my beets alone. I have spent MANY hours in a back breaking position weeding, thinning, and even singing to these guys. I was determined to make their growing environment as healthy as possible. And guess what? The hard work is paying off!
Pour yourself some wine, turn on your favorite pandora station, clink your glasses together and celebrate the arrival of beets!
kale beet and blue cheese pizza
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: 2-4
- olive oil
- 1 pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- 2 medium-sized beets, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 bunch of curly kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4-1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- small handful of crushed walnuts
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss the sliced beets in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until fork tender(about 10-15 minutes) flip beets over halfway through cooking time.
- When beets are done roasting remove from oven and crank heat up to 475 degrees.
- Roll out your pizza dough. Layer on the kale, followed by blue cheese crumbles, followed by beet slices. Sprinkle the whole pizza with grated parmesan. Drizzle a little olive oil on top.
- Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until curst is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- With about 2 minutes remaining in cooking time remove the pizza and sprinkle with walnut pieces. Place back in the oven for the remainder 2 minutes.
- Sever hot with a glass of your favorite house wine. Enjoy!
NotesAs always use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements as necessary.
You guys are so awesome. Just look at those beets!! I’m guessing there will be lots more beet recipes coming our way this summer 🙂 Love the beet + blue cheese combo on this pizza!
Yay! Your beets looks awesome! It must be a great feeling knowing that you helped bring these babies into the world. 😉 I’m excited to try the recipe as you have pretty much covered all of my food groups: Beets, Kale, Blue Cheese, and Walnuts….oh, and Wine. hahah Super excited for more beet recipes!
more beet recipes are coming your way!!!
I’m loving the sound of this pizza! I have a pennicillin allergy, so blue cheese is usually a no go (gives me hives!) but feta sounds like it’d be great here too.
OHHHHHHHHH look at them beets! AH they’re so pretty! Your pizza looks incredible and I actually have blue cheese, beets and pizza dough ingredients already! Gorgeous recipe and so happy to see your harvested roots!
I lurrrrve beets! They’re my favorite. Granted, and I know this will disgust you to your inner core, I have only had canned beets, but I’m sure if I love canned beets, the real deal must be like, eleventy times better, right?! Right. Also, pizza is perfect no matter what, soooo how about you make me a big one of these bad boys?!
I’m overnighting you pizza right now!!!
I LOVE the idea of putting kale on pizza!! But then again, I am a new convert to kale, so I think I love the idea of adding it to just about everything ;).
Great job on those beets girl! They look awesome and so does this pizza, holy yumminess.. You guys should open a café on your farm, it would definitely be a hit with all of your amazing recipes!
Those are beautiful, perfect beets –they are all the same size–a wonderful product for the market! Congratulations.! I find beets really hard to grow. I get lots of tops (which I eat) and no beet.
I love all your pizza recipes. Beetza and the zucchini and potato one are my faves!
Woot woot!! I am SUPER thrilled for you and your beets! This pizza is the perfect way to use them up!
love the new recipe layout!
Thanks Liza!!! miss you lady!
What’s up with the new format for your recipes? It’s gorgeous and looks like a cookbook is coming. Good on you, I’ve been waiting! Best wishes from Detroit’s urban prairie and farms…
Thanks! no cookbook, but I thought this would make it easier for people to try my recipes!!!
I just made this tonight, and it was so delicious! Very easy to make, too. I went a little light on the kale and bleu cheese, so I’ll have to use a heavier hand next time. Really great recipe – thanks for sharing it!
I’m so happy you liked it!
Dude…this pizza is incredible. I made cauliflower crust and then used these toppings with a glass of AniChe Moth Love and it was perfect. Thanks so much!