beet green pesto panini with roasted beets
Since the arrival of our first crop of beets I have managed to eat beets three times a day. Juiced beets in the morning, roasted beet sandwich for lunch, and beet pizza for dinner. It’s out of control and I love it! If you are not a beet person I apologize in advance. The truth is, I became a farmer so I could eat as many beets as possible. The future is looking very purple!
Look at those babies! I’m so proud.
The inspiration for this beet green pesto came to me while Taylor and I spent the morning weeding.
One of the best things about weeding for hours on end is that I get some of my best thinking done while doing this mundane task. You can pretty much thank the weeds for all the recipes on this site!
Between all the beets I’m eating and my usual glass of red wine with dinner my skin tone has definitely taken on a purplish glow. Taylor says it’s a healthy glow and I’m just going to go with that!
Recently, I have had a few emails from people wondering what the heck to do with beet greens. Taylor and I usually juice them. However, there are so many other ways to incorporate them into your meals.
Tonight I would like to share with you a lovely beet green pesto recipe. This pesto tastes so stinking good and adds a nice flavor to this roasted beet panini. Feel free to use this pesto on pasta, pizza or whatever else you can think of. However, it tastes best when paired with roasted beets.
FYI: for my dairy free friends, you can sub organic yellow miso instead of parmesan cheese in the pesto ( I do this all the time and it’s awesome!) Instead of goat cheese add avocado to the sandwich. Enjoy!
Beet Green Pesto Panini With Roasted Beets
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Serves: 2
- For the pesto:
- greens from one bunch of beets, (about 4 cups worth) discard yellow leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pistachios (or nut of your choice)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the panini:
- 4 medium size beets, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup goat cheese
- a few handfuls of spinach
- 4 slices of your favorite bread
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine sliced beets with a little olive oil salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until for tender. Flip beets over halfway through cooking time.
- Combine garlic and pistachios (or nut of your choice) in a food processor. Pulse until finely minced. Add beet greens, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Add more oil (or a little water) as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading a healthy portion of pesto on each slice of bread, followed by goat cheese. Layer a few slices of roasted beets, onions, and spinach. Place sandwiches in a panini maker or in the oven until slightly melted and toasted. (about 3 minutes)
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and taste test as you go.