It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Our garlic harvest has begun and hundreds of pounds of garlic is making its way from the fields into the barn to cure. It smells like heaven in there!
We’ve also been harvesting the first of our summer squash! We have hundreds of squash plantings out in the fields and it’s awesome to finally offer more variety at the Farmers Markets and to our CSA members.
Since we have garlic, squash and cilantro coming out of our ears I thought it was only appropriate to whip up this simple and refreshing pasta.
I accidentally bought quinoa noodles a while back and finally used them tonight. Honestly, they had a great texture and if you are avoiding gluten (we are not) I would highly recommend trying quinoa noodles. They really surprised me with their flavor and texture. This meal is just what the doctor ordered and we feel full, refreshed, and ready to hit the alarm button at 4 a.m. tomorrow (I’m trying not to think about that wake up call just yet!) Thank god for nourishing food like this and a glass of local red wine to calm our nerves. We can tackle anything now.
The cilantro-lime pesto was a highlight and I am really excited to have this pasta dish become a quick weeknight dinner all summer long. I hope you all enjoy this meal as much as we do. Cheers!
Roasted Summer Squash Pasta + Cilantro-Lime Pesto
DinnerA light and refreshing pasta that is quick and easy to prepare on any busy weeknight.
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
For the pasta:
- 8 ounces pasta- we used quinoa pasta but any pasta will work
- 4 medium-small summer squash/zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Cilantro for garnish
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups cilantro, tough stems removed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more to thin
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl toss summer squash/zucchini with olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until lightly browned on all sides. About 8 minutes per side. Check squash often to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to specific brands directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- While pasta and squash cook prepare your pesto. Place all the ingredients for the pesto, minus the olive oil, in a food processor. Process until the veggies are finely chopped. With the motor running slowly add the olive oil. Process until smooth. Add more oil or water if the pesto is too thick. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Once pasta is fully cooked, drain and toss in the roasted squash and pesto. Toss until well combined. Add 1/2 cup of cooking pasta water if necessary. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Serve with chopped avocado, pine nuts and additional cilantro.
*Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary
*Taste test as you go