Roasted Blueberry & Ricotta Toast
Things have been quite hectic around the farm so we’re sticking with simple meals to keep things easy in the kitchen. These blueberry and ricotta toasts are absolutely delightful and the perfect summertime dinner when served with a light salad and glass of rose’.
We love having a loaf of good quality bread on hand at the house and often stock up on extra at the farmers market. We keep the overstock frozen so we’re never fresh out of amazing bread.
I hope you all enjoy these simple toasts as much as we do. We love blueberry season around these parts and while nothing beats eating a berry- still warm from the sunshine- right off the vine, these roasted blueberries are the next best thing! I’ve always been a fan of blueberries and fresh thyme together and their bright flavors shine in this simple meal. Pour yourself a glass of rose’ and dig in! Cheers from Tumbleweed.
Roasted Blueberry & Ricotta Toast with Lemon, Honey + Thyme
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon honey + additional for serving
- juice from 1/2 of a large lemon
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small loaf of rustic style bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- Flakey sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the blueberries on a baking sheet. Whisk together the honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Pour over the blueberries and toss well to coat. Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until blueberries are soft and almost ready to pop. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil. Place the sliced bread directly onto the top rack in the oven. Toast until lightly browned and crisp. About 2 minutes (times will vary depending on your specific oven) Keep a close eye on the bread after 1 minute! (Don't walk away from the oven while the bread toasts!!)
- Place the hazelnuts into a small dry skillet over medium high heat. Cook, shaking the pan a few times, until lightly toasted. About 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread the ricotta cheese over each slice of bread. Spoon roasted blueberries over each slice followed by the toasted hazelnuts, lemon zest, thyme and flakey sea salt. Drizzle with a little more honey and serve warm.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Cooking times will vary from kitchen to kitchen. *Have fun while cooking!