Grilled Garlic Scapes with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto and Sea Salt
We’re experiencing our first heatwave of the farm season and it feels like we’re moving through molasses out in the fields. We’re putting in long days and the hot weather is definitely taking its toll. Luckily, we’re craving pretty simple food and the spring bounty makes meal time (or happy hour snacks) really easy. These grilled garlic scapes with sun dried tomato pesto and sea salt are our absolute favorite appetizer at the moment. Garlic scape season doesn’t last long and we’re trying to enjoy these seasonal gems as much as we can.
This simple method of lightly charring them on the grill and dipping them into a flavorful sun dried tomato pesto is by far our favorite way to prepare them. We used up the last of our sun dried tomatoes that we canned last summer and they were wonderful whipped into a simple pesto with these crispy scapes. This appetizer can be prepared in a flash and tastes best when enjoyed outside with good friends and a few cold beers.
Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm
Grilled Garlic Scapes with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto & Sea Salt
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5-7 minutes Serves: 4Pesto:
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes, (if packed in oil draind and patted dry)
- 2 garlic scapes (can sub with garlic cloves), chopped
- 1 cup loosley packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more to thin if necessary
- salt to taste
- 2 bunches of garlic scapes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- flakey sea salt
- Blend the sun dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, pine nuts and a pinch of salt in a food processor and pulse until a paste forms. With the motor running slowly add the oil. Process until smooth, adding a touch more olive oil if necessary. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium. Toss the garlic scapes with the oil until evenly coated. Place the scapes in a single layer on the grill (you may need to do this in batches) and grill until lightly charred on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place scapes on a platter and sprinkle with flakey sea salt and serve with the pesto.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will vary *Taste test as you go