Farm Girl Veggie Bowls from the Dishing up the Dirt Cookbook!
Pinch me!!! The Dishing up the Dirt cookbook is out in the world today. I’m over the moon and cannot wait for you all to get your hands on your own copy. I really hope the book makes you proud. And if you feel inclined, I’d be forever grateful if you left reviews on amazon. They don’t even have to be recipe reviews (but those are obviously great too!) there’s a farming love story throughout and beautiful photos to boot. I’m so excited for you all to see it and review it if possible. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Before I get to this recipe I wanted to remind everyone that my local book signing is this Sunday (March 19th) at Springhouse Cellar in Hood River from 3-5pm. There will be live music, beer, wine, and snacks. I’ll be signing books and we’ll also be showing the cookbook trailer on a big screen! Following the trailer there will be a short Q&A and then back to hanging out and clinking glasses! It’s open to the public so bring along all of your family and friends. It’s kiddo friendly too!
In celebration of my official publication day I wanted to share an exclusive recipe from the DUTD cookbook. These Farm Girl Veggie Bowls are simple, delicious and a great dish to whip up in the late winter/early spring. Serve with a glass of crisp white wine, good friends and hopefully a copy of your very own Dishing up the Dirt book so you can start bookmarking more recipes to make after this one!
Cheers from an overly excited farm girl!
P.S. Don’t forget to hashtag your DUTD photos and recipes on Instagram with #dishingupthedirt
Farm Girl Veggie Bowls
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4Bowls
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (rinsed and drained, if from a can)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch of kale, tough stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces, about 3 cups worth
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mellow white miso
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare the veggie bowl: Preheat the oven to 425F. Prepare the the quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Place the butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and chickpeas in a large bowl. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and toss until coated. Spread the veggies on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the oven until the veggies are lightly browned and the butternut squash is tender. About 18-20 minutes. Toss the vegetables halfway through cooking.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and toss with the the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the kale to a baking sheet and put it in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the leaves crisp up a bit.
- While the veggies roast, make the dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients, along with 1/4 cup of water, to a small bowl and whisk until smooth, or use an immersion blender or food processor. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Divide the quinoa between four bowls and top each bowl with an equal portion of the veggies. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Notes*This recipe is from the Dishing up the Dirt cookbook