Carrot Ginger Bisque
It’s officially soup season here at the farm and I realized it’s been far too long since we’ve made a simple carrot ginger soup. I’ve made a lot of versions of this “recipe” in the past with coconut milk or cashew cream. However, this version is made creamy and rich with the addition of real dairy cream which lends the perfect texture along with a slight sweetness that pairs so well with the earthy carrots and pungent ginger. This is the kind of simple weeknight meal that warms you from the inside out on a chilly autumn evening. So if you’re in the mood for simple, nourishing comfort food, head on out to your local farmers market this weekend to grab the ingredients for this tasty bisque.
Happy cooking and eating everyone!
Carrrot Ginger Bisque
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Serves: 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken stock or veggie broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper
- Creme fraiche or plain yogurt for serving
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are softened. Add the carrots, ginger and nutmeg and cook for one minute, using a wooden spoon to stir. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced. About 15 minutes
- Remove from the heat and transfer the contents to a high speed blender (you may need to do this in batches) blend until smooth and completely creamy. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender but the soup wont become as silky smooth as when it's pureed with a regular blender.
- Return the soup to the pot and pour in the cream. Season with plenty of salt and pepper and keep warm until ready to serve. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with a dollop of creme fraiche or plain yogurt.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary