Carrot & Broccoli Salad With Miso Ginger Sauce
I love creating farm fresh recipes for the blog. I fantasize about flavor combinations in my sleep and when we’re out in the fields covered in dirt, sweating our butts off and praying for the sun to set so we can head in for the day dinner is never farm from my mind. With that being said, there is one thing you may be surprised to find out about me. I am 100% a creature of habit. I wake up at the same time every morning, head to bed at the same time every night, have 2 cups of coffee before heading out to the fields and eat avocado toast almost every day for lunch. If I didn’t have a food blog I would eat some version of this broccoli and carrot miso salad every night. Often times when I’m not blogging this is a staple meal I turn to (I’ll sometimes switch up the veggies but the sauce, sesame seeds and edamame are always staples).
Broccoli and carrots are two of our favorite vegetables to grow on Tumbleweed Farm (despite being very finicky in the fields) and I love preparing them this way. Next season we’re going to experiment with growing edamame and I cannot wait to see how it grows on Tumbleweed.
If you’re in need of a simple weeknight meal I think you should add this to your rotation. I won’t judge if you make this every night of the week for months on end! Grab a fork, pour some wine and enjoy.
Carrot & Broccoli Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35-40 minutes Serves: 4Salad
- 1 cup uncooked rice (or grain of your choice)
- 1 pound carrots, sliced in half lengthwise and then cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup cooked edamame
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or sriracha)
- 2 Tablespoons white miso
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 1 Tablespoon water (plus more to thin if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Cook the rice according to specific brands instructions.
- If you're using frozen edamame quickly blanch in boiling water (3-5 minutes)
- Toss the chopped carrots and broccoli with the oil. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender and lightly browned. About 25-30 minutes. If the broccoli is browning up too quickly remove it from the oven before the carrots.
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a skillet over low heat until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes (keep a very close eye on them to insure they don't burn)
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce together and whisk until smooth and creamy. This works best with an immersion blender or small food processor. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be. Add water to thin if necessary.
- Toss the roasted vegetables with the edamame and cilantro. Serve over rice and drizzle with sauce and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Notes*I cook with a taste and feel method. Use this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Always taste test as you go. *Cooking times vary from kitchen to kitchen so keep that in mind. *Have fun in the kitchen