Roasted Fennel & Onions with Prosciutto
Roasted fennel and onions with prosciutto and parmesan is pretty much the best side dish of the season. You can thank our crazy wet weather for a full week’s worth of recipes! It’s been too damn muddy to get much done at the farm. Actually, if I’m being completely honest, it’s been too stormy out for me to get much done. Taylor…..he’s an animal! He’s been busting his ass in the rain and wind building a new greenhouse while I stay in the warm and dry kitchen. It’s a little gut wrenching to look out from the side window and see him out in the elements while I stand at the stove in my slippers and kitchen apron. Luckily, a well fed farmer is a happy farmer so Taylor has been pretty darn supportive of me taking on less chores these days and spending my energy in the kitchen. I really do love this time of the year when I can trade my farm boots in for my spatula!
I’ve been on a total Thanksgiving menu kick recently and I’ve had fun cooking up our late fall crops and experimenting with potential side dishes to contribute to our small feast. This dish in particular got the thumbs up from Taylor and our neighbors as a “must have” for the Thanksgiving spread. This simple side dish could not be easier to prepare but is a crowd pleasure for sure. Fennel and onions are roasted until completely caramelized bringing out their natural sweetness. Salty prosciutto and tangy parmesan add the perfect amount of kick to balance out the sweetness from the veggies.
If you’re in charge of bringing a side dish but don’t want to complicate things this is the dish for you! It’s a crowd pleasure and could not be easier. Dig in!
Roasted Fennel & Onions with Prosciutto & Parmesan
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Serves: 6
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces prosciutto, torn into small pieces
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- snipped fennel fronds for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F. On a rimmed baking sheet toss the fennel, onions and thyme with the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until tender and lightly browned on all sides; about 35-40 minutes. Toss the veggies halfway through baking.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and add the prosciutto. Return the veggies back to the oven and cook for about 5 minutes longer or until the prosciutto become slightly crispy.
- While the veggies are still warm grate some parmesan cheese evenly and sprinkle with fennel fronds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will vary from kitchen to kitchen