buttered radishes & ricotta toast
Radishes are one of my favorite root vegetables to grow here at Tumbleweed Farm. They are great eaten straight up with a dollop of butter and sea salt or even roasted with herbs. This past week I made the same lunch almost daily….fresh ricotta, buttered radishes, parsley and a healthy pinch of sumac. Simple, delicious and perfect for a busy work day. This is one of those “recipes” that is so basic and easy that I feel silly posting it, but I love this simple meal so much that I felt like sharing anyway! Also, I picked up some raw whole milk from a farm nearby and followed this recipe from epicurious for fresh ricotta. It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious! It was my first attempt at homemade cheese and now I’m hooked. Definitely worth giving it a whirl. However, store bought ricotta will work just fine here as well! The sumac adds a lovely tang and can be purchased at specialty spice shops or online. It’s great to have on hand to add a little zip to anything from pasta, salads, or even sauces. I highly recommend having a jar on hand at all times–you’ll find yourself reaching for it often.
Buttered Eadishes & Ricotta Toast
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 5 min Serves: 1
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- pinch of salt
- healthy dollop of ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- minced parsly
- salt + pepper to taste
- Toast your bread
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced radishes and pinch of salt. Cook until crips tender, about 3 minutes, flipping the radishes halfway.
- Spread a healthy smear of ricotta on your toasted bread, add the radishes, pinch of sumac and minced parsley. Season with another pinch of salt and enjoy.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary