spring quinoa salad in cabbage bowls with lemon-lime vinaigrette
Before I get to this lovely recipe I wanted to throw a couple of fist pumps in the air and let you all know that Taylor and I did our first farming business deal today. It felt awesome!
Apple Valley BBQ in Parkdale, OR is now serving our lettuce! The two owners came for a tour of Tumbleweed Farm a few weeks ago and were really impressed with our lettuce heads. We couldn’t me more proud to supply organic lettuce to the best bbq restaurant around!
Taylor and I spent the morning in the cold and rain harvesting lettuce to drop off at Apple Valley. Our fingers and toes were numb but our spirits where high. Henry came with us to do our official drop off. And a kiss for good luck never hurts.
We still have a lot to get done including attending our first farmers market of the season tomorrow! It’s going to be an early morning for us but we are pretty stoked.
In the meantime you all should enjoy this lovely spring salad. I loved using the cabbage leaves as bowls. It’s such a beautiful presentation and I enjoyed the added crunch with every bite!
Feel free to play around with different produce. I used this meal as an excuse to clean out our fridge! Dig in.
Spring Quinoa Salad In Cabbage Bowls With Lemon-Lime Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 5 mins. Cook Time: 15 mins Serves: 2
- 2 large purple cabbage leaves, carefully removed from the outer layer of a cabbage head.
- 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature or chilled
- 1 cup cooked peas, chilled
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 large cooked beet, chilled and diced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- a few handfuls of arugula
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- For the Dressing: (adapted from The Best 50 Salad Dressings Book) makes 1/2 cup of dressing.
- 5 1/2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp dijon-style mustard
- 2 tsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients for the salad (except the cabbage leaves) together.
- Pour dressing over salad mixture (you may have extra dressing, save for another use) Toss well.
- Scoop a healthy portion of the salad into each cabbage leaf.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.