butternut squash and kale pizza
First of all, thank you everyone for your sweet comments about the new blog. It means the world to me. A few people have been curious as to why I made the change and all I can say is that sometimes even a farmer needs a makeover! Seriously though, I have been wanting to change things up for over a year now and the beginning of our farming adventure out west felt like the most appropriate time. And hey, we are literally dishing up the dirt. I think it’s perfect!
There are still a few changes in the works on the blog. I want to make the recipe page more user friendly. So far it’s kind of a mess, but I am hoping to change that soon! Other than that things will pretty much remain the same around here. Stories from the dirt all the way to our kitchen (with a lot of country music in between!)
Again, thank you everyone who checks in with us daily to see what we are up to. I’ve been blogging for almost 3 years now and a lot of you have followed me through, a wedding, almost losing Henry, a few cross country road trips, and many tears. I never thought I would be able to juggle blogging with farming. But the truth is, blogging sometimes keeps me sane. When I burst into tears in the middle of a hard day on the farm I know I have a place to come to to vent when it’s all over. I would blog even if people didn’t read along, but the fact that you guys are here makes it all the more sweeter. So thank you!
Let’s celebrate by eating some pizza!
This pizza is one of mine and Taylor’s favorites. The butternut squash is pureed and acts as the “tomato sauce” for the pizza. We pile on some kale, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, and walnuts. The end result is nothing short of amazing. Trust us!
Butternut Squash and Kale Pizza
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: 4
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 bunch of kale (we like to use curly kale for this recipe) stems removed and torn into bite size pieces.
- a few TBS olive oil
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- a handful of grated parmesan cheese
- a few TBS crushed walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash. Reduce heat to a light boil. Squash is cooked when fork tender (about 10 minutes)
- Once squash is done cooking place it in a food processor or blender with a few TBS of olive oil and a little goat cheese. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll out pizza dough. Spread squash mixture followed by crumbled goat cheese, kale, and a healthy sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over everything.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During the last 2 minutes of cooking time remove pizza and sprinkle on crushed walnuts. Place back in the oven for the remainder 2 minutes.
- Enjoy this pizza with your favorite beer or a nice glass of wine!
NotesUse this recipe as a guide and adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.