garlicky kale and fried egg cups
When I look at our morning harvest of greens my brain automatically starts thinking of different ways to cook and eat the same old stuff.
As it turns out, kale and eggs go together like peanut butter and jelly.
The idea for these garlic and egg “cupcakes” came to me when I saw something similar at a cafe in town here. The only difference is that the cafe used puff pastry as the shell instead of the kale leaves. I thought I would give this a shot using my favorite green vegetable as the shell.
The result was nothing short of amazing. I loved how easy these were to whip up. They would make a great appetizer at a brunch, or the perfect lunch with a side salad and piece of crusty bread. Go crazy!
Garlicky Kale And Fried Egg Cups
Prep Time: 5 mins. Cook Time: 25 mins. Serves: 6
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems removed
- 6 eggs, (free range and organic if possible)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine kale, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Massage the oil and garlic into the kale.
- Lightly oil your cupcake pan.
- Fill each cupcake tin with a few leaves of kale. Crack 1 egg into each tin. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a little more salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until egg yoke is set.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Cooking time may vary depending on your oven. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.