It’s been snowing for three days straight. And by snowing I mean really snowing. The only thing stopping me from buying a one-way ticket to Mexico is these spicy stuffed sweet potatoes and the fact that we start seeding in the greenhouse in less than two weeks. Eeeek!!!
Instead of fleeing to Mexico I am going to put on my winter boots and embrace the cold and snowy weather. Truth be told, we really need the moisture and I am happy that winter has finally arrived. I guess this just means more fires in the wood stove, spicy food, and plenty of red wine. Oh yeah, these sweet potatoes also make sticking around here a lot more manageable too!
If it’s cold and snowy where you are don’t worry I’ve got your back. Put on your favorite pajamas, slip into some cozy socks, pour an extra tall glass of wine, and dig into these magical sweet potatoes. The avocado-lime sauce takes this meal over the top. I’ve made it before with these Sweet Potato and Quinoa Fritters and haven’t stopped dreaming about it since! Dig in.
Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado-Lime Sauce
DinnerA sweet and spicy potato loaded with black beans and topped with a creamy avocado sauce.
- PREP TIME
- COOK TIME
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes (organic if possible and very similar in size)
- 1 cup cooked black beans (if canned rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1 cup minced cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Favorite hot sauce (optional)
For the Avocado-Lime Sauce
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small handful of cilantro, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- With an immersion blender or regular blender mix all the ingredients for the avocado-lime sauce together until smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add more liquid if it’s too creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until fully cooked through. 35-50 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. Potatoes are done when easily pierced with a fork and soft in the middle.
- In a large bowl combine black beans, red onion, and cilantro. Season with a little salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Once sweet potatoes are fully cooked slice down the middle and stuff with black bean mixture. Drizzle with plenty of avocado-lime sauce and season to taste with your favorite hot sauce.