zucchini red-lentil curry
The air is crisp, the mornings require extra large mugs of hot coffee and the summer harvest list is dwindling by the day. We’re holding onto the final bit of summer by a shoestring and trying to enjoy every last bite of the season’s bounty. The Tumbleweed Farm barn is stocked to the brim with winter squash and potatoes however, we’re not quite ready to dive in. We still have some tomatoes and zucchini to eat before we finally throw our hands up and “officially” transition into the Fall harvest.
This simple zucchini curry is a breeze to whip up and is the prefect “in-between” the seasons dish to serve on a chilly evening. We enjoyed this meal with a couple of rad friends (Kate, Brett and Tino you know who you are!) and some tasty beers to complete the meal.
If the weather calls for a big bowl of hearty stew, good company and a couple of tasty beverages then you’ve come to the right place. Grab your wooden spoon, pour yourself a beer and call your best buddies over for dinner. Cheers to the end of summer harvest!
Zucchini Red-Lentil Curry
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 medium sized zucchini (about 1 pound) cut into 1/4 inch thick chunks
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- optional plain grass-fed yogurt for serving
- Cook the rice according to your specific rice directions.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger and garlic; continue to cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and jalapeño pepper. Cook, stirring often for about 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, lentils, zucchini and coconut milk. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils and zucchini are tender.
- Serve over rice with minced cilantro, fresh lime juice and optional yogurt. Season to taste with salt + pepper
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Taste test as you go *Have fun in the kitchen