white bean and collard green soup
This is the kind of soup you make when the weather is grey, you are feeling down in the dumps, and your dog has recently been sprayed by a skunk and the whole house smells completely foul (not to mention you do as well!)
We thought the situation was pretty bad, however, it escalated to a whole new level when Taylor walked into the hardware store and the front desk clerk asked “who the hell just killed a skunk?”
Yep, we are the smelly kids in our new neighborhood!
Ironically, Henry doesn’t seem to mind the smell at all. However, we are doing everything we can to air out our house. Sheets, carpets, couches, clothes…. it’s all been doused in vinegar, baking soda, and soap. We have been lighting fires in the wood stove, every window has been open for days (did I mention we live up at altitude and it’s freezing!) It’s been a smelly and cold weekend that’s for sure.
I made this soup as a last ditch effort to make our house smell less skunk-y and to warm ourselves up. I always turn to comfort food in times of crisis (skunk smell is a crisis right?) Collard greens always make me happy regardless of any situation so I was excited to add a healthy bunch of collards to this lovely soup.
I hope wherever you all are it smells a little better than what we are dealing with. If you get a chance roll up your sleeves, pour a glass of wine, and stand in front of your stove while you prepare this beautiful soup. Taylor proclaimed this his favorite soup of the season and I must admit I agree. So simple yet totally delicious!
White Bean and Collard Green Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins. Serves: 4-6
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, with juices
- 2 15 oz can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch of collard greens, tough stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese if desired
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Add potatoes, tomatoes, beans. collard greens and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes. If soup is too thick add a little more stock or water.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnish soup with a healthy portion of grated parmesan cheese.
NotesUse this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients and necessary. Always taste test as you go!