Spiced Carrots Over Lentils with Yogurt
It’s been a crazy couple of days photographing recipes for my cookbook so meals on the blog are going to be pretty simple for a while. This recipe actually uses a few different components from 4 separate recipes I photographed in the last two days. No food is going to waste! I’ve been getting into a groove of 6-7 recipes a day (which is taking a toll on my kitchen!) but it’s all good. With the help of a local food blogger/stylist I’ve been able to create some amazing shots and I think you all will love the book when it’s all said and done! It really will be beautiful and while I wont be sharing any of the recipes on the blog I’ll fill you in as things get rolling and more details about release dates etc happen. It’s a fun/scary time but I’m really looking forward to sharing our farm story and recipes with you all in hardcover!
As a result of all this cooking I’ve quickly become popular in our small community. Folks are swinging by the farm after work with tupperware and are filling up before heading home to share food with their family’s. Honestly, it’s so awesome to have the support of my local peeps who will hopefully enjoy the recipes as much as Taylor and I do.
Anyhow, onto this “recipe.” This isn’t so much of a recipe but is more of a method. The carrots are tossed with a little oil, spices and roasted in the oven until caramelized and sweet. I served them over some really tasty lentils that only require a few ingredients. A scoop of yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice and viola! Simplicity at it’s best. After a day of testing/tasting a lot of recipes this simple meal was seriously amazing. Don’t be fooled by how basic it is, there’s a ton of flavor and minimal effort. Major win!
Cheers from a very snowy Tumbleweed Farm. xo
Spiced Carrots & Lentils
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 2-3
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed clean and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- Yogurt for serving
- Fresh lemon juice for serving
- salt + pepper for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the carrots with the oil and spices. Place on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender and golden. About 25-30 minutes. Flip carrots halfway through cooking.
- Rinse the lentils and discard any pebbles. Place the lentils in a pot with the garlic, onion, bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Cover with cold water by 1 inch or so. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until tender. About 25-30 minutes. Add more water if necessary while cooking.
- Discard the garlic, onion and bay leaf from the lentils. Divide lentils between plates and top with the roasted carrots, a scoop of plain yogurt, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and salt + pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Taste test as you go