creamy chanterelle mushroom soup (vegan)
Well, it is officially fall. Taylor and I have to pinch ourselves to make sure we really are here and that our little farm has made it this far. I almost get teary eyed thinking about what it has taken for us to get to this time and this place. The years we spent farming at Hutchins Farm learning everything we could about organic farming seems like a lifetime ago. The fear that we had when we packed up our Toyota Tacoma with all of our belongings, (and our dog) and drove across the country to start our own farm feels surreal right now. But we did it. We are doing it. The frustration, the hard days, the tears, and all the small victories have made us grow so much this past year. I am more in love with Taylor and the life we have chosen to live than I ever thought possible.
When we set out to start Tumbleweed Farm we thought it would be amazing if we made it to our first farmers market in the springtime. We achieved that without any major hiccups. Our next goal was to see if we could make it to August without anything disastrous happening. August came and went without batting an eye. And here we are on our first official day of fall. The farm is going strong with fall crops and our market sales are up. The best news is that we are working less and even taking days off from the farm. The long hot days of summer are officially behind us and we are happily welcoming the cooler and shorter days of the fall.
Since it is officially autumn (and raining outside!) I thought it would only be appropriate to make a fall mushroom soup. We traded some broccoli at the farmers market for some locally harvested chanterelle mushrooms. This soups was simple, hearty, and totally delicious. Pour yourself a glass of red wine and cozy up with a bowl of soup. Enjoy!
Creamy Chanterelle Mushroom Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: 45 mins. Serves: 4
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can organic navy beans (or any other white creamy bean)
- 3-4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 2 TBS low sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley, tough stems removed and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add chanterelle mushrooms and cook for about 5-8 more minutes stirring often. Add in the beans and vegetable stock (start with 3 cups of veggie stock and add more if the soup is too thick) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Add in the tamari and crushed red pepper flakes. Simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Carefully with an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup until most of it is smooth but leaving some chunks to add some texture.
- Stir in the coconut milk salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Serve the soup warm with a healthy pinch or two of minced parsley and more salt and pepper if necessary
NotesPlease use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. Always taste test as you go.