Kale Salad with Apple-Cinnamon Tahini Dressing
This salad is a celebration of all the great flavors of the season and is a wonderful addition to any holiday feast. I was inspired to make this dish before Thanksgiving when we were still picking kale from the field. It was a cold and rainy afternoon on our last harvest of the season but our kale was sweeter than ever!
This salad is a lovely combination of flavors, textures and sweetness. I love the pop from the pomegranate arils and the creaminess from the tahini dressing. If it’s possible for a salad to taste like Christmas this is definitely it.
I got the idea to make this salad after enjoying a similar one at Blossoming Lotus Cafe in Portland, Oregon last winter. I’ve been dreaming of it ever since and now that I’ve made my own version I can’t get enough. If you need to add a little more “green” to your holiday feast I think this is the salad for you. Grab a fork and enjoy!
Holiday Kale Salad with Apple-Cinnamon Tahini Dressing
Prep Time: 15 mins. Cook Time: 20 mins. Serves: 4-6
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch of kale, tough stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium-sized delicata squash, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch half moons (no need to peel)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils, from about 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle the delicata squash with the olive oil and place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender. About 20 minutes. Flip squash halfway through cooking.
- While the squash cooks prepare the dressing. Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. This works best with an immersion blender or food processor. Taste test and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Assemble the salad by massaging half the dressing into the kale leaves and then tossing the kale with all the ingredients and mixing until well combined. Add additional dressing as needed and season with salt and pepper as need.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Taste test as you go. *Have fun in the kitchen and make this recipe you own!