Roasted Fennel & Beets
If you’re looking for a simple side dish to carry you through the fall I’ve got you covered. This recipe is absolutely delicious with minimal ingredients and effort. I was originally going to add breadcrumbs and cheese to the final dish but I resisted the urge because the flavors here are lovely on their own. Our CSA members received beets and fennel in their boxes this week and I think this is a great dish to serve up with these two seasonal gems.
I’ve always loved the flavor combination of beets and fennel. I’ve made pizzas, pasta dishes and have a soup recipe coming your way soon with these superstar veggies. I know a lot of folks who shop at our farmers market booth (and a few CSA members) who’ve shied away from fennel because they’re afraid it will have too strong of a licorice flavor. However, when fennel is roasted it becomes extremely tender and even caramelizes a bit which brings out a wonderful sweetness. When paired with earthy beets– which also mellow out and become quite sweet– they are the perfect match. I topped the roasted veggies with a simple fennel frond and parsley gremolata (which I know sounds fancy but is super easy to prepare). We enjoyed our roasted veggies with some chicken thighs and a glass of white wine from Cor Cellars (we just joined their wine club and are in love!!!) I hope you all give this recipe a try because it’s always awesome when something so basic turns out so damn delicious!
Dish it up folks!
Roasted Fennel & Beets
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30-40 minutes Serves: 6 (as a side)
- 1 bunch of beets, greens removed (save for another use) and cut into 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 2 medium-sized fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced into 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fennel fronds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss the beets, fennel, fennel seeds, salt and pepper with the olive oil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender and golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Toss the veggies halfway through cooking.
- While the veggies roast prepare the gremolata. In a small bowl mix together the fennel fronds, minced parsley, garlic, lemon zest and a hefty pinch of coarse sea salt. Set aside.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and toss with the gremolata. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary *Cooking times will very from kitchen to kitchen