Roasted Cauliflower & Za’atar Pizza
It’s been raining like crazy today. We were lucky enough to break ground with the tractor over the weekend and prep the upper field for a big week of seeding. However, today we got derailed a bit because of all the rain. Luckily there is plenty of greenhouse work to keep us busy (and dry!) but the rain is a bit much these days. I actually came into the house a few hours before Taylor and baked us a brown-butter cardamom banana bread (stay tuned for the recipe!) and this pizza. Taylor is a champ in the cold and rain and worked overtime installing a new water pump so I could spend a little time in the kitchen. He was pretty stoked when I trekked out into the field in the pouring rain with hot coffee and banana bread this afternoon. And now we’re both dry and warm and this evening it was all about this pizza.
This is not your average pizza but it’s damn good! I used the same flavor profile I did for these Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower Bowls with Sumac Tahini Sauce and pretty much turned it into pizza. I whipped up the sumac tahini sauce (but made it slightly thicker) and spread that evenly over the pizza crust. I then layered on the za’atar roasted cauliflower, onions and plenty of Mozzarella cheese. Popped her in the oven and viola! Just a little sprinkle of parsley and a glass of wine and we were two very happy farmers. The only thing missing was ice cream for dessert (which Taylor is out purchasing right now). Other than that I think we nailed this Sunday evening meal. I hope you all love this pizza as much as we do. The crust recipe is from my cookbook (Chesua’s Perfect Pizza Dough) and it’s been really fun seeing folks tag their pizza recipes from the book on Instagram. Please keep it up. It makes my day! And once again I wanted to thank everyone who has left a review on Amazon. The reviews really do help spread the word about the book and each one makes DUTD more searchable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Cheers from a very rainy Tumbleweed Farm.
Roasted Cauliflower & Za'atar Pizza
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 1 pizzaSumac Tahini Spread
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac + additional to taste ( like ordering mine from Savory Spice Shop)
- pinch of salt
- 1-3 tablespoons water
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- hefty pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons za'atar + additional for sprinkling on pizza (I like ordering mine from Savory Spice Shop)
- 1 ball of Chesua's Perfect Pizza Dough (from my cookbook) or your go-to dough
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup minced parsley
- Make the Sumac Tahini Spread. Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth and creamy. This works best with an immersion blender or small food processor. Taste test and adjust as needed. The sauce should be on the thicker side (you'll want it to be spreadable) but if it seems way too thick add a touch more water.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the cauliflower and onions with the olive oil, salt and za'atar. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until golden brown and tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475F. Roll our your pizza dough. Spread out an even layer of the sumac tahini sauce (if you end up with a bit leftover that's fine! It's great for dipping veggies!) Layer on the roasted veggies followed by the Mozzarella. Sprinkle with additional za'atar and bake until the crust is golden brown and crisp, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley while the pizza is still warm. Slice and serve.
Notes*Use this recipe as a guide *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary